The Royersford Insurance Agent!

Tips on Lowering the Cost of Insurance for College Drivers

I got a call from an Insured yesterday.  We have his Motorcycle and RV insured through Progressive.  He has his Auto and Home insured through a different carrier.

He heard from his sister that she received a discount when her son went to college.  He called his Auto agent and requested the same thing.  The only problem is that his son goes to school 50 miles from his house.  In order to get the “College Student Away at School” discount, the student must go to school more than 100 miles away from his house.

To make things worse, his son goes to school in Philadelphia.  So he can’t even lower his rate by saying his son has his car at school.



photo credit to


Here’s what I recommend for College Students on a Parent’s Auto policy.


  1. Find out if your college student is going to school more than 100 miles from your home-Discount.
  2. Does your College Student have good grades?- Discount
  3. Did he take Driver Training in High School? – Discount
  4. Depending on where your child’s college is located, it may lower your rate if you “garage” their car at that zip code.  Ask your agent for details.


Can your college student get his own policy?


Yes he can.  Here are some things to consider if you want to have a child get his own policy.


  1. The title of the vehicle must be in his name.  It can be in yours and his name but it must be in his name.
  2. He will lose several discounts.  Including; multi-policy (if you have a Homeowners and Auto policy), Homeowners (if you own your home), and a multi-car discount.
  3. He will still need to be listed on your policy.  If your address is on his license then he will still need to be listed on your policy as a driver insured elsewhere.
  4. Your policy could be non-renewed or cancelled.  If your young driver has a major accident or incident (like a DUI) and still lives at home your policy may be non-renewed.  Most, if not all, insurance companies unhderwrite the entire household and many of those companies will not provide insurance to anyone in a house if a member of the household to has a DUI.


Check out this post for more thoughts and ideas about college students and college.


My name is Keith Laskey. My goal is to educate the everyday consumer and to help them make intelligent decisions with their insurance policies.  Please contact me at my office, 610-948-4830, for any insurance related questions or concerns.  You can also visit the Ron Black Agency website or like us on Facebook!  Thank you for stopping by, have a great day!

What to know about College Students and Insurance

  Every year there are many questions that flood into our agency about what types of insurance policies college students need.  This post will be a guide for anyone who needs to know exactly what they should do to properly insure a college … [Continue reading]

How New Cars Affect Your Auto Policy

The New Car!   Marc via Compfight   Recently we had a man, 24- year old, replace his '07 Camry with a 2015 Subaru Legacy.  The cars are pretty similar, both cars are 4-door sedans.  The Legacy has 4-cylinders, the Camry has 6. … [Continue reading]

How Safeco Rewind can Forgive an Existing Accident


What is Safeco Rewind? Safeco Rewind is a program offered  by Safeco Insurance that allows a driver to have an existing accident, minor violation or speeding ticket waived for the first policy term just for agreeing to participate.  By agreeing to … [Continue reading]

Not All Acts of God are Covered by Insurance

Act of God

What is an Act of God?   Daniel Pascoal via Compfight   I worked for Travelers Insurance as an outside property claims rep from 2005-2008. We had extensive training before we were ever assigned our first claim.  Two weeks … [Continue reading]

How to Get Coverage for Water Damage to Your Basement

water basement

  Here's a basic recap on how most Homeowners Insurance policies cover weather related water damage to the interior of your home. Damage caused by water that enters the house through the sky (ie. walls, windows, roof) is covered.  Damage … [Continue reading]

The Easy Guide to Buying Life Insurance

clarissa and the kids

  Do you have kids?  A spouse?  A mortgage?  If you were to die, do you have enough funds in the bank to cover your debts?  Probably not.  Why would you have debt if you had the money to cover it? What about college for your kids?  Are … [Continue reading]

What to Do if You’re Rear-Ended

rear ended

  A Rear End Collision is one of the most common types of auto accidents.  Whether the reason is because they are fiddling with the satellite radio or texting, people are very distracted these days.  So, when it happens to you, how should you … [Continue reading]

Three Ways Parents Ruin Youth Baseball


  Ten year old baseball.  Thoughts of the "Sandlot" run through your head.  Just a bunch of kids playing ball in an empty lot.  No parents around. This is 2014.  The Sandlot is long gone, it's a Walgreens now.  Kids rarely play by … [Continue reading]

Insurance For Bicycles

pee wee herman bike

  We have a sign out front of our office where we put up little messages.  For the longest time the sign read "NEED HELP WITH MEDICARE  CALL US" We had so many people call and stop in that my dad, our Healthcare guru, finally told us to … [Continue reading]

The Father/Stepfather Relationship


  Oh this is an interesting relationship.  On one side you have a man who has a son that now lives under another man's roof.  This man's son will be raised, in large part, by another man.  Will be heavily influenced by this other man.  Not to … [Continue reading]

We Will Miss These Times – A Baseball Story

  Talking with someone today on the phone in regards to our Memorial Day weekend plans.  I mentioned that my stepson, Reece,  has four baseball games in the next three days.  He had five games in four days scheduled but last night's game was … [Continue reading]

What’s Your Story?

  A man parks his car on a street in Manhattan.  He exits the vehicle and starts down the road.  He is approached by a homeless man who asks him if he has a dollar for four quarters.  The man thinks for a second, realizes that this is the … [Continue reading]

Why Yelp STINKS!

anton ego

  Surely you have heard of Yelp.  It's the site where people can post reviews about their experiences at local businesses and restaurants.  The idea is a great one, we LOVE reviews.  Reviews are extremely helpful when  searching for the right … [Continue reading]

The Seven Decisions-A Breakdown of “The Travelers Gift” by Andy Andrews


Have you heard of Andy Andrews?  I have read or listened to six of his books.  The first was "The Travelers Gift". (affiliate link) "The Travelers Gift" is a story about an executive, David Ponder, who loses his job due to a hostile takeover of … [Continue reading]

How to Avoid Misery and Manage Weight

How to be Miserable and Add Fat to Your Body   We all know the importance of breakfast.  It doesn't matter if you are trying to lose weight, add weight, manage weight, or build muscle.  Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. … [Continue reading]

Youth Development: Learning From Jackie Robinson

Jackie Robinson Day

  Here are some facts about Jackie Robinson's baseball career.   Became the first black man to play for a Major league baseball team on 4/15/1947 with the Brooklyn Dodgers.  Rookie of the Year in 1947.   MVP in 1949 (Became the … [Continue reading]

Healthy Living: Keeping Kids Positive

Have kids always been so negative?  I see it at every youth sporting event.  Kids get so down on themselves!  If they make an error in the field, a mistake at the plate or foul on the court.  The shrugged shoulders, teary eyes, slammed bats and … [Continue reading]

Social Responsibility-Help at the Supermarket

  Social Responsibility- Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.   I sometimes wish that the supermarket checkout person was a nutritionist.  I would get to the line, put my food on the conveyor belt and have the … [Continue reading]

Are We Overworking Our Kids with Sports

Things were a lot different 25 years ago when I was a ten year old boy.  Spring was for baseball, summer was All-Star baseball (if you made it), Fall was for soccer and Winter was for basketball.  Now, sports like baseball and soccer are year round. … [Continue reading]